Our Meet the Providers series continues with another one of our midwives, Jessica Ramirez-Trower MSN, CNM. Jessy has been part of the Triangle Physicians for Women team for well over a decade, and we are so lucky to have her! Between her fun, caring personality to her vast experience in the nurse-midwifery realm, Jessy brings so much to the table. To learn more about her professional background, areas of interest, and more, check out our Q and A with her below.
I am a first-generation LatinX-American and am very proud of my Costa Rican heritage. Having parents from Costa Rica has allowed me to be fluent in English and Spanish. In 2008, I relocated to North Carolina from the Fort Lauderdale/Miami area of Florida. From that point, I was hired by Triangle OB/GYN which became Triangle Physicians for Women.
I have been in nursing since 1995 and have been a Certified Nurse Midwife since 2001. In my time as a nurse and nurse-midwife, I have worked in both the Public and Private Sectors with both low-risk and high-risk populations. In my professional career, I have trained 25 Nurse Midwives-who currently work all over the globe, and have delivered over 7800 babies. In addition to my work at TP4W, I am also an Adjunct Faculty at East Carolina University (College of Nursing).
Masters of Nursing & Midwifery: University of Miami in Coral Gables, Florida
Bachelors of Nursing: Florida International University in Miami, Florida
Associates of Nursing: Broward Community College in Davie, Florida
Midwifery, Women’s Health
Particular Areas of Interest
I am very passionate about Fertility/Infertility Care. I lived it, therefore it puts me in a unique position to be able to help those in need and to be truly sympathetic to their struggles. I also love to incorporate alternative therapies with my medical plan of care. Some examples of these therapies include acupuncture, chiropractic care, breathwork, yoga, gut health, and spirituality/belief systems in any faith or manner. At the end of the day, I love the labor and delivery setting, but I especially love anything and everything related to midwifery.
Why were you interested in the field you’re in and what got you into it?
It all started after watching “The Miracle of Birth” movie on PBS Nova Channel in 1983. I was ten years old at the time, and I turned over to my mother and said, “When I grow up, I am going to deliver babies.” From that point on, my world revolved around the idea of my future career. My passion ignited more after listening to my grandmother talk about all the women she helped bring their babies into this world (she had 10 children herself). In high school, I was introduced to a Certified Nurse Midwife and I had the opportunity to shadow her for a couple of days– that sealed the deal for me! What’s funny about this story is that 15 years later I was at a Midwifery Conference in California and I ran into that very same CNM and was able to tell her how much of an inspiration she was for me and we both cried. I want someone to find me by chance one day and tell me something similar (now I’m crying).
Specific procedures performed
What motivates you?
I am in a unique position to empower people, establish human bonds, and leave a lasting impact or impression. I am honored to be a part of someone’s life. I love to educate others and learn from others.
Do you have a certain philosophy or outlook when it comes to practicing medicine and providing care?
My basic philosophy is to treat others as I want to be treated… Treat others how I want my sister and my mother to be treated.
I want to provide others with the most up-to-date/evidence-based information possible in a down-to-earth manner possible. I dislike it when a provider talks “above” the person they’re caring for. My goal is for my patient to leave our consult prepared, fully knowledgeable, and not feel like they’re missing anything. I want my patient and/or their pregnancy to feel like the center of the universe during their visit. I am also known for using a lot of humor at my visits whenever I can. Laughter is the best medicine!
Fast Facts About Jessy Ramirez-Trower MSN, CNM
- I have been married 21 years and have two crazy boys aged 7 and 10.
- I try my best to see the cup half full versus half empty. I believe the type energy you put out in the universe is the type of energy that comes back to you.
- I helped create a Labor Doula Program at my Hospital in Florida years ago and my first student was actually my mother! Boy was hard to give her any constructive criticism– I was afraid she would knock me out… Just joking, my mother was a great student and went on to become an AMAZING Doula.
- I am the biggest klutz outside of work (which makes me the butt of many family members’ jokes).
- I am very computer illiterate. I am surprised my picture is not next to those words in the dictionary or have a Meme made about me by now.
- I collect Female LEGO Minifigures-I’ve been known to steal figurines from my kids and Spouse and replace them with LEGO knock-offs… SHHH don’t tell them.
- I love all things Star Wars (Princess Leia all the way…Yeah, I admit it, I have rocked the Buns once or twice in my lifetime! By the way– don’t tell my spouse I swiped his Carrie Fisher Autograph recently).
- I am a sucker for Romance Comedies and believe that “Love Actually” is the greatest Christmas movie EVER.
- I get a little crazy watching Soccer (as any self-respecting LatinX would).
- If you see a middle-aged woman racing to the Hospital in a Black Minivan jamming to either Dave Mathews Band, 90’s Rap or PitBull’s Globalization Station, that would be me.
To schedule an appointment
Triangle Physicians for Women is proud to provide comprehensive women’s health care that includes obstetric, gynecological, and midwifery care as well as a wide array of specialty services. For questions about any of our services, contact us today! If you would like to schedule an appointment with Jessica Ramirez-Trower MSN, CNM at Triangle Physicians for Women, you may do so by calling (919) 678-6900 or requesting an appointment online.